Logistics uses lots of acronyms. How many do you know? Test your-self by writing these ones out.
- FCL = Full container Load
- 3PL = Third Party Logistics
- HGV = Heavy Goods Vehicle
- DC = Distribution Center
- LCL = Less than Container Load
- EDI = Electronic Data Interchange
- VAS = Value Added Service
- RFID = Radio Frequency Identification
- ISO = International Standard Organization
- GPS = Global Positioning System
Match the following words (1-8) with their definitions (a-h) below:
- ordrer picking
- reverse logistics
- tracking and tracing
a. direct flow of goods from recipt at warehouse to shipping, bypassing storage
b. collecting and handling of used or damaged goods or of resusable transit equipment
c. loading goodes from one means of carriage onto another
d. selecting and assembling items from stock for shipments
e. packing goods in small sepratable units
f. picking of goods at a named place
g. receiving and storing goods
h. locating items in transit
Look at these from exercise and use your dictionary (if necessary) to complete the table. As these are the words wich are regularly used in English Language in Logistics Section of Business.
1. Receive ??
2. ?? equipment
3. Carry ??
4. ?? assembly
5. ?? location
You have to download this vedio primarily, as we are in progress to help you more in Learning.
so, copythe link and paste it to another browser window or tab…
Ovserve the video where three logisctics providers presenting their services. Complete the table provided in the video.
Ovserve the video where three logisctics providers presenting their services. Complete the sentences provided in the video.
Ovserve the video where three logisctics providers presenting their services. Complete the sentences with the words provided in the video.
When describing a company’s services or portfolio, we often use the following expressions:
We can offer you a wide range of …
we can provide (you with) customized/tailor-made logistics solutions for …
we specialize in …
As a specialist for/in … we can …
with our many years of experience …
we have experience and expertise in providing …
our team will be happy to handle/assist you …
With our dedicated team of logistics experts we can …
Complete the list with your own company’s services. Then present it to your partner using pharases from this unit.
1. range of products or services ___ ___ ___
2. Specialist in ___ ___ ___
3. experience ___ ___ ___
4. extra services for customers ___ ___ ____
Now, Present the company’s services to your partner. Use phrases from this unit.
Read the following text from a logistics company magazine about new trends in third-party logistics. Then label the paragraphs with the correct headings from the list.
CLICK ON THIS PICTURE TO HAVE A LARGER VIEW!!
Now, say which of these statements are true or false
in the past, companies used to outsource only segments of their logistics operations. _ _
Manufacturers found out that outsourcing to 3pl providers is not efficient. _ _
In the past few years many 3PL providers have increased their profit margins. _ _
Customers today are demanding more complex logistics solutions. _ _
Super-3PLs provide comprehensive solutions to logistics problems. _ _
Match the words (1-6) from the text with correct definition (a-f).
a. including a wide range of services.
b. details of what is expected and needed
c. the need for particular goods or services
d. companies trying to sell the same or similar products to customers
e. the grouping of small shipments into one container.
f. contracting functions out to third-party providers
Look at the three website advertisements for value added services. Then complete the tables:
Now listen to two short presentation about online logistics services. Then say which of the statements are true or false.
Express Logistics Online Shipping:
1. … helps you book pick-price and track shipments. _ _
2. … you can log on by selecting your country _ _
3. … you can check shipment records for up to 60 days. _ _
4. … allows you to make price enquiries _ _
5. … you can cancel orders. _ _
6. … you can download pdf documents. _ _
Explaining Online Services
When describing online functions or tools, you can use the following phrases and expressions:
The price request tool allows you to obtain prices for shipments.
E-Shipping helps you prepare/print/track/select …. online .
To …….. (just) sign up/register for/log on to ….
For price requests, please use …
To access shipment details, Click …
Match the beginnings of the sentences (1-6) with the endings (a-f) to make sentences from the recording.
- with Quick Shipping you can find
- This online tool allows you
- To use QOS, simply log on
- After registering with E-Shipping, you can make
- Yor can also
- With a mouse click you can also
- to plan shipments, book collections and delivers.
- price requests, schedule transport, and obtain real-time shipment information.
- track pick-ups and deliveries.
- download commercial documents in pdf format.
- by selling your town or region from the drop-down menu on the left.
- the right service to suit your shipping needs